MVC Forum in production

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:16 AM

I understand that you strongly do not recommended MVC forum in production, but at present moment I need to open one Forum, but I do not see any real alternative to MVC. All others are PHP-based, and I do not want to tie up myself to them. If I will try to open forum on PHPBB or FluxBB very soon I would have big problem, because I would need way to migrate to MVC (I really hope that you will done really good and popular forum board) and afaik it would pretty hard.

So I am thinking about start with MVC.

Also I want to migrate one my forum from FluxBB to MVC, do you think would it be hard?

What could you say to my idea?

Coordinator
Nov 28, 2011 at 4:51 AM

The main reason for not recommending MVC Forum to anybody at the moment is that the data schema will change, and I don't plan on writing any code to migrate data from one alpha/beta release to another. So if you start using MVC Forum now, you'll have to upgrade yourself, or stay on the alpha/beta version you decide to install.

That said I run 3 sites myself with MVC Forum version 0.6. I've had a few errors, but all in all it seems stable enough. From version 0.7 I'll probably make a branch in the repository, so it would be easier to fix any bugs found. I'm not promising that I'll start re-releasing the alpha versions, but I'll fix the bugs, and then you could pull and compile the code yourself.

I don't know FluxBB, but it's quite easy to move data into MVC Forum, as you can more or ignore pass the business logic by going directly through the properties on the business objects. This could be considered a "known defect", and is very handy when migrating.

If you're up for it, you should try it out. Just hang on for the MVC Forum version 0.7 release. I'll be as helpful as time permits.